US deaths near 200,000, partial lockdown in Madrid

Live version of coronavirus map

One million people in and around the Spanish capital on Monday were under new “stay-at-home” orders to contain another coronavirus surge, as the US death toll neared 200,000.

But unlike other nations that are tightening curbs to battle outbreaks, India pressed ahead with its measures to kickstart its battered economy, reopening the Taj Mahal and some schools on Monday – despite having the second-highest caseload in the world.

The restrictions in Madrid will last for two weeks starting Monday, affecting people living mainly in densely populated, low-income neighborhoods who will be allowed only to travel for essential reasons such as work, medical care or taking children to school.

On Sunday, people took to the streets in some of the affected districts in protest against the new measures.

For the full story, please click HERE

Source: Asia Times

CBP seizes $14 million worth of meth and heroin at Mexico border

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers recently seized more than $14.7 million worth of drugs in several U.S.-Mexico border incidents.

The first occurred Sept. 11 at the World Trade Bridge in Laredo, Texas. CBP officers searching an empty trailer arriving from Mexico discovered 93 pounds of alleged methamphetamine. The meth has an estimated street value of $1.86 million, the CBP said.

The second incident occurred Sept. 12 in Pharr, Texas. Officers at the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge searched a commercial load of avocados from Mexico and reportedly found 48 packages of methamphetamine totaling 326 pounds and one package of heroin weighing 2.4 pounds. The drugs have an estimated street value of $6.6 million, the CBP said.

CBP seized the narcotics, the tractor-trailer and arrested the truck driver.

On Sept. 14, officers at the Tecate port of entry in Southern California found 560 pounds of alleged methamphetamine and cocaine cemented inside several quartz boulders in a truck from Mexico. The shipment was listed as beach pebbles and stones. The narcotics have a street value of $3.9 million, the CBP said.

For the full story, please click HERE

Source: Freight Waves

2M restores transpacific capacity and pleads for return of empty containers

The 2M is the latest container shipping alliance to return more capacity to the transpacific trades.

2M partners Maersk and MSC said today they “continued to see strong demand and volumes with imports into the US”.

Maersk told customers today the TP8/Orient and TP11/Elephant services, which had been “structurally blanked in the second quarter”, had been reinstated and that the number of blanked sailings during China’s Golden Week holiday would be lower than normal this year.

However, it warned shippers there was still a number of threats to container supply chains between Asia and North America, largely stemming from the unexpected demand, and urged customers to “add more buffer to supply chain schedules to allow for potential disruptions/delays”.

For the full story, please click HERE

Source: The Load Star

US warns box lines against transpac collusion

The US Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) has warned container lines that it will act against any perceived violation of competition rules, and it has “heightened its scrutiny of markets, individual ocean carriers, and the three global carrier alliances in response to the unusual circumstances and challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic”.

Following a private meeting yesterday, the FMC said it had examined market trends in trade lanes serving the United States and actions taken by both individual ocean carriers and global alliances in response to COVID-19 and related impacts to the shipping industry.

Although the FMC regularly holds meetings to receive updates on international trade, the container shipping industry, and analysis of carrier agreement monitoring activities, the agency said it “has heightened its scrutiny of markets, individual ocean carriers, and the three global carrier alliances in response to the unusual circumstances and challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic”. This week’s meeting focused on those developments, it said.

“Specifically, the Commission received detailed reports that addressed trends in spot rates, longer-term service contracts, utilisation of equipment, blanked sailings, revenue trends, the policies of individual carriers and global alliances for service changes, and what notice must be provided to the FMC when there are blanked, cancelled, or amended voyages,” the agency said.

For the full story, please click HERE

Source: Lloyd’s Loading List

CBP withhold orders hit $200M in Chinese imports connected to Xinjiang

Dive Brief:

  • Customs and Border Protection withhold and release orders that block the import of goods from entities found to use or promote the use of Uighur labor in China’s Xinjiang Province could redirect sourcing of roughly $200 million in Chinese imports, a CBP spokesperson confirmed to Supply Chain Dive Thursday.
  • CBP issued five WROs between June 17 and Sept. 8, covering one hair-products factory, two apparel manufacturers, a cotton and linen manufacturer, a maker of computer parts, and an entity that sells Uighur labor in the Xinjiang region. Shipments suspected of coming from these companies will be held by CBP and either destroyed or re-exported after an investigation. 

For the full story, please click HERE

Source: Supply Chain Dive