The Port of Long Beach said Friday the COVID-19 pandemic continued to drive down demand for goods in the second quarter of 2020, leading to an increase in canceled sailings and a decline in containers shipped through the gateway.
Dockworkers and terminal operators moved 602,180 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) last month, an 11.1% decline compared to June 2019, the port said. Imports shrank 9.3% to 300,714 TEUs and exports dropped 12.2% to 117,538 TEUs. Empty containers shipped to Asia were down 13.1% to 183,928 TEUs.
The port said economic uncertainty brought on by decreased consumer spending and ongoing health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic contributed to a 6.9% volume drop in the first half of 2020 to 3,433,035 TEUs.
“Canceled sailings continued to rise at a rapid rate in the second quarter as ocean carriers adjusted their voyages to a decline in demand for imports during the national COVID-19 outbreak,” said Executive Director Mario Cordero. “The economic challenges may persist for some time, but the Port of Long Beach continues to invest in infrastructure projects that will meet the needs of our customers.”
For the full story, please click HERE
Source: American Shipper